Soroptimist International Club of Edmonton is honored to be one of the first SI clubs to be chartered in Alberta in 1936, and since then has contributed to the well being of our Edmonton area community and to many communities throughout the world.
A Soroptimist membership provides women a unique opportunity to do meaningful, life-changing work in an atmosphere of fun and friendship. Soroptimist membership provides a variety of benefits which include:
- Leadership – Soroptimists develop new skills, enhance professional capabilities and leadership opportunities at all levels of the organization.
- Networking – Associating with other women representing a variety of professions facilitates valuable business contacts.
- Convenience - Belonging to an association with organized programs and professionally developed resources frees members from administrative constraints, while enabling them to concentrate on providing volunteer service.
- Diversity – By participating in projects that address the needs of women throughout the world, members gain a better understanding of women from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Friendship – Cultivating relationships with other women who have similar interests and values is a central aspect of Soroptimist membership.
- Fulfillment – Working on projects that improve the lives of women and girls leads to personal satisfaction and recognition from the community.
In the Edmonton region SI Edmonton has supported the YWCA, E4C's School Lunch Program for kids, the Women's Emergency Accommodation Centre (or WEAC) for homeless women, Compassion House, Candora Society, WINGS of Providence, Women Building Futures Society, Alberta Cancer Foundation/The Weekend to End Breast Cancer, WIN House 1,2 and 3 and ACT Alberta.
SI Edmonton annually participates in Soroptimist International of the America's outstanding award program Live your Dream Award previously called the Womens Opportunity Award. In addition, SIE has created the Joy award to honour women leaders in the fight against exploitation of trafficked women. We also particpate in international projects and the December 10th President's Appeal which has new projects every two years!
SI Edmonton has been host to several Soroptimist conferences over the years and to Soroptimist guests from other countries, and as a club, we have Friendship Links with clubs in England, Japan and Ukraine.