Soroptimist International Club of Edmonton is honored to be one of the first SI clubs to be chartered in Alberta in 1936, and since then has contributed to the well being of our Edmonton area community and to many communities throughout the world.
A Soroptimist membership provides women a unique opportunity to do meaningful, life-changing work in an atmosphere of fun and friendship. Soroptimist membership provides a variety of benefits which include:
- Leadership – Soroptimists develop new skills, enhance professional capabilities and leadership opportunities at all levels of the organization.
- Networking – Associating with other women representing a variety of professions facilitates valuable business contacts.
- Convenience - Belonging to an association with organized programs and professionally developed resources frees members from administrative constraints, while enabling them to concentrate on providing volunteer service.
- Diversity – By participating in projects that address the needs of women throughout the world, members gain a better understanding of women from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Friendship – Cultivating relationships with other women who have similar interests and values is a central aspect of Soroptimist membership.
- Fulfillment – Working on projects that improve the lives of women and girls leads to personal satisfaction and recognition from the community.
In the Edmonton region SI Edmonton has supported the YWCA, E4C's School Lunch Program for kids and the Women's Emergency Accommodation Centre (or WEAC) for homeless women, Compassion House, Candora Society, WINGS of Providence, Women Building Futures Society, Alberta Cancer Foundation/The Weekend to End Breast Cancer, WIN House 1,2 and 3, CEASE and Action Coalition against Trafficking Alberta.
SI Edmonton annually participates in Soroptimist International of the America's outstanding award program Live your Dream Award previously called the Womens Opportunity Award. In addition, SIE has created the Joy award to honour women leaders in the fight against exploitation of trafficked women. We also particpate in international projects and the December 10th President's Appeal which has new International projects every two years!
SI Edmonton has been host to several Soroptimist conferences over the years and to Soroptimist guests from other countries. As a club, we have Friendship Links with clubs in England, Ukraine, Australia, Japan, Ukraine and recently Hungary.
Why are we called Soroptimist?
The first question we are often asked about Soroptimist is: "but what does it mean"?
The name Soroptimist was coined from the Latin soror meaning sister, and optima meaning best. Soroptimist is perhaps best interpreted as 'the best for women'. From the founding of the first Soroptimist club in Oakland, California, in 1921, through to the present day where over 3000 clubs are flourishing throughout the world, Soroptimists have continued to strive to achieve 'the best for women' in every sphere of their lives.
Notable dates in the development of Soroptimist Edmonton
- 1921 First Soroptimist club founded in Oakland, California. The Founder President was Violet Richardson-Ward.
- 1924 Chartering of first Soroptimist club in London. The Founder President was Viscountess Falmouth. Suzanne Nöel founded SI Paris, the first Soroptimist club in Europe. She later became the first President of the European Federation.
- 1928 Foundation of American and European Federations. Soroptimist International Association created to provide link between the Federations.
- 1934 Europe and Great Britain & Ireland form separate Federations.
- 1936 The Soroptimist Edmonton Club formed!
- 1948 Soroptimist International awarded Consultative status with UNESCO.
- 1950 SI awarded category C Consultative status with ECOSOC. (Economic & Social Council, United Nations.)
- 1952 Foundation of the International governing body of Soroptimist International.
- 1961 Soroptimist International Edmonton Club celebrated 25th Anniversary
- 1984 SI granted Category 1 Consultative status (now General Consultative Status) with ECOSOC of the United Nations
- In 1986 SI Edmonton celebrated 50 years as a club
- In 2019 we celebrate 83 years as a service club supporting women in the Edmonton region!
AB Societies SIE Certificate of Incorporation